Board of Supervisors Work Session Minutes
March 17, 2003
MINUTES WERE APPROVED at the regular meeting April 23, 2003. MINUTES OF THE WORK SESSION OF 3/17/03: Mr. Weaver moved to approve the minutes of the 3/17/03 work session; the motion was seconded by Mrs. Goren and passed unanimously.
Members Present: Scott R. Harp, Chairman; Anne Goren, Vice Chairman; Richard Weaver, Secretary/Treasurer; Tom Jirele and Raymond “Skip” Goodnoe, Members; Dave Sander, Solicitor; Robert M. Pellegrino, Township Manager.
Also Present: Jean-Paul Lautenschlager, Courier Times; Ron Weaver, Township Technology Manager; Sycamore Street Committee Members: Vince Lombardi, Dave Burns, Joe Merjeski, James Ott, Shawn Ward, Karen Doorley, and Nelson Shaffer; Cable TV Committee Members James Bowe and Walt Iwaskiw; Bernie Bires, Park & Recreation Committee Chairman; Bill Wert, Parks & Recreations Director; Pat Cawley, NGSA; Joe Garvey, Nancy Crescenzo and Ethel Hibbs.
Prior to the opening of the meeting, the Supervisors met in executive session to discuss personnel issues.
Call to Order: Chairman Harp called the meeting to order at 8:10 PM.
Sycamore Street Committee
The Supervisors discussed the Sycamore Street Reconstruction Project. Mr. Lombardi expressed concerns the committee has with the project (residents able to come & go, businesses remaining open, public relations). The Supervisors agreed the committee has done a good job with the project, but want to clarify the line of responsibility and authority. The township manager has overall responsibility of the project. It will be up to Mr. Pellegrino to report to the Board. It was requested that Mr. Pellegrino, Mr. Lombardi and Mr. Shaffer work together as a team overseeing the project. The township manager will draft a document advising who is responsible for what. Mr. Harp thanked the committee members for their time.
Mr. Goodnoe requested a member of the committee help with a parking study being done by the Joint Downtown Newtown Corporation. Mr. Lombardi advised a committee member would be available.
Cable TV Committee
The Supervisors discussed the changes proposed by the Cable TV Committee. Committee members advised the Supervisors they would like to change the name of the committee to The Newtown Area Telecommunications Advisory Committee and increase the member size from five (5) to seven (7). Mr. Iwaskiw discussed the proposed draft language for the revised ordinance, and provided copies to the Board. Mr. Harp advised he would discuss the proposed changes with Marcia Scull – she could speak with the Newtown Borough Council. The Supervisors discussed options for the committee membership. The Supervisors advised they would discuss the revisions further at the next work session. Mr. Goodnoe asked if the committee has researched other communities’ ordinances. Mr. Iwaskiw advised he had. The Supervisors advised they would request the solicitor review the revised ordinance.
The Supervisors discussed the possibility of starting a volunteer video group. Mr. Bowe advised the group could tape events that would air on Channel 23. He discussed the possibility of taping some of the township committee meetings and other local events. He advised the Supervisors on a meeting with Video Gold, where concerns were raised with regards to the volunteer group being in the video booth. The Supervisors agreed the volunteers should not be allowed into the video booth. The Supervisors felt the volunteers should start by taping local events. The Supervisors discussed liability concerns and advised they would request input from the solicitor. Mr. Weaver requested that all tapes be reviewed by the Township before being aired.
Mr. Harp suggested getting prices from Video Gold with regards to taping other committee meetings. Mr. Bowe advised he would provide the Supervisors with pricing.
The Supervisors discussed the CRSD Channel 78. Mr. Ronald Weaver, Technology Director, asked about having CRSD remove their deck from the township’s control booth. Mr. Bowe advised the Supervisors on correspondence received from the CRSD with regards to Channel 78. The Supervisors discussed liability concerns. Mr. Sander advised he would discuss with Fred Polner with regards to drafting an agreement between the township and the school district. Mr. Harp thanked Mr. Iwaskiw for the discussion.
Mr. Harp asked the committee to continue looking for cable competition.
Newtown Girls’ Softball League – Proposal for Field Usage, Signs and Improvements
The Supervisors discussed the request made by the NGSA. Mr. Wert advised the Supervisors on the opinion of the Parks & Recreation Board. The Supervisors agreed with the decision of the Parks & Recreation Board. The Supervisors discussed who would be responsible for purchasing what equipment and what liability concerns there could be. A draft agreement would be available for the next BOS meeting, March 26, 2003.
Mr. Jirele advised he is opposed to advertising in the township parks.
Representatives from NGSA requested the Supervisors play a game.
The Supervisors thanked NGSA representatives for their time.
Proposal – Hough Associates – Recycling performance grant data collector
The Supervisors discussed the proposal received from Hough Associates for a recycling program and grant award based on recycling performance. Mr. Pellegrino advised he recommends the agreement and he explained the agreement provides that the Township will pay $2000 upon authorization and another $2000 only if the grant exceeds $35,000. The Supervisors agreed to discuss at 3/26 meeting.
Qualifications for Appointment to Economic Development Committee
The Supervisors discussed the qualifications for appointing members to the Economic Development Committee. The Supervisors discussed the February 28th memo received from Supervisor Weaver. The Supervisors agreed the committee members would have to either live or be actively involved with a business in the township. The Supervisors agreed to discuss further at next week’s meeting.
Mr. Jirele advised he feels the first meeting of the Economic Development Committee should be postponed until the committee is fully staffed. Mr. Goodnoe advised he agreed with Mr. Jirele.
Ms. Crescenzo commented on the Cable Committee with regards to seeking new members. She suggested the committee seek help from the JDNC and the Newtown Business and Professional Association.
Mr. Iwaskiw commented on the township concerns of liability with regards to the NGSA scoreboard. Mr. Sanders discussed liability concerns.
Ms. Hibbs commented that any permit fees incurred by the NGSA, be waived by the Board. The Supervisors agreed they would follow past procedure.
Ms. Crescenzo discussed the number of fields in the township designated as girls’ fields. The Supervisors discussed how the fields are designated. Mr. Harp advised this issue could be addressed in the future.
Ms. Crescenzo advised she is also against advertising in the township’s parks.
Ms. Hibbs suggested the Supervisors use a sign-in sheet when taking public comment at the Board meetings.
Ms. Crescenzo commented on the Sycamore Street Reconstruction Project. She advised she would feel better as a township resident, knowing the township manager would be overseeing the project. Mr. Pellegrino advised he would be overseeing the project.
Ms. Crescenzo commented on the Cable Committee with regards to the volunteer video group. She suggested the committee seek help from the Middle Bucks Institute of Technology.
Mr. Iwaskiw commented on the Economic Development Committee and the Sycamore Street Reconstruction Project. He questioned additional costs. Mr. Pellegrino advised any additional costs would have to be approved by the Board.
Ms. Crescenzo commented on the Economic Development Committee with regards to appointing members. She also advised she felt the committee’s first meeting should be postponed until the committee is fully staffed.
Without objection, the meeting was adjourned at 10:20 PM.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary