Newtown Township

Board of Supervisors Work Session

June 9, 2003

Held at the Fire Station 55


MINUTES WERE APPROVED at the regular meeting July 9 , 2003. MINUTES OF THE WORK SESSION OF 6/9/03:  Mr. Weaver moved to approve the minutes of the 6/9/03 work session; the motion was seconded by Mrs. Goren and passed unanimously.


Members Present: Scott R. Harp, Chairman; Anne Goren, Vice Chairman; Richard Weaver, Secretary/Treasurer; Tom Jirele and Raymond “Skip” Goodnoe, Members; Dave Sander, Solicitor; Robert M. Pellegrino, Township Manager; Gerald Smith, Engineer. 

Also Present: William Knittle, H. Joseph Phillips and James Linske representing George J. Donovan AIA & Associates; Newtown residents Walt Iwaskiw, Paul Sterling, Dell Purscell and Ethel Hibbs. 

Call to Order: Chairman Harp called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM. 

Municipal Facilities Expansion

The Township Manager gave a brief history on the prior plans for the Municipal Complex expansion prepared by George J. Donovan AIA & Associates.  Packets were provided to the Supervisors.   

Representatives from George J. Donovan AIA & Associates made a power point presentation, which covered plans of the proposed Municipal Complex expansion.  This plan would include a land purchase, the relocation of the administration/finance office, the expansion and renovation of the existing municipal building to house the police department, the expansion and renovation of the public works area, renovating the existing public works building to be used for community activity space and proposing to use the old school house for community meeting.  A computer generated 3-D view was also presented.  

Mr. Linske reviewed the proposed expansion and renovation plans for the public works area.  The existing structures would remain with the proposal of a new salt storage structure and a new public works building.    The current shooting range would have to be relocated.  He explained the possible use of space in the new public works building and the type of building materials that would be used.  Mr. Goodnoe commented on the possible removal of the existing salt storage structure.  The Supervisors discussed the proposed changes to the public works area. Mr. Pellegrino advised anyone interested in what the new public works building will resemble to take a look at the Buckingham facility. 

Mr. Linske next reviewed the proposed administration building.  This portion of the project is where it is recommended that land be purchased.  He discussed the design plan for the building.  He advised that with regards to security in the evening the building would have areas that could be locked down.  The capacity of the main public meeting room is shown at 108 seats -  2200 square feet. The Supervisors discussed the size of the main public meeting room.,  the floor plan of the new building and how much of the new building would be occupied by current staff.  Mr. Pellegrino updated the Supervisors on the areas for future staff.  Mr. Phillips advised anyone interested in what the proposed building would resemble to take a look at the Warwick, Buckingham or Plumstead Facilities.

Mr. Linske next reviewed the proposed expansion and renovation of the existing Township building to house the police department.  He discussed a proposed carport to house police vehicles, the design plan for the building, the proposed area for complex records storage and the exterior of the building.  The Supervisors discussed the floor plan of the proposed building and the area designated as the Emergency Operations Centers. 

Mr. Linske also advised the Supervisors of the proposed renovations to the public works building to become Township community rooms for the Parks & Rec. Department and the proposed renovations to the old school house for use as community rooms. 

Mr. Phillips advised that if the proposals were approved, the project would be broken down into two phases.  The first phase would include the administration building and the public works facility.  The second phase would include the expansion to the police station and the renovations to the existing public works building and the old school house.  He discussed the construction times. 

The Supervisors discussed the cost of the project.  Mr. Pellegrino referred to correspondence received from George J. Donovan AIA & Associates re: Newtown Township Municipal Complex Initial cost estimates, June 9, 2003.  The estimate included the cost for the new buildings and renovations to the old buildings.    

The Supervisors discussed the cost of purchasing the land.  Mr. Pellegrino advised the Township is waiting for the appraisals. 

Mr. Jirele asked about interior furnishings for the buildings.  Mr. Phillips advised he would provide the Township with a general price. 

Mr. Harp questioned how the project could be financed.  Mr. Pellegrino advised the Supervisors on the Township’s current debt and the proposed 2003 Bond Issue.  The Supervisors discussed taxes. 

Mr. Harp asked about the space for records storage.  Mr. Pellegrino advised he felt with the proposed plans there would be adequate storage.  Mr. Goodnoe commented on having one large archive room. 

Mr. Goodnoe asked about the current square footage of the existing Municipal Complex compared with the square footage of the proposed Municipal Complex.  Mr. Pellegrino advised that per a 1998 report done by George J. Donovan AIA & Associates the existing net square footage is 28,200.  The square footage of the proposed Municipal Complex would be 67,892.  Mr. Phillips advised on the increase in square footage. 

The Supervisors discussed the concept of administration offices and police department no longer sharing a central location. 

Mr. Phillips advised the Martindell House would remain but the garage would be removed.  He also advised the 1st floor of the building would be used for additional meeting rooms.  Mr. Pellegrino advised use of the 2nd floor has yet to be determined. 

Ms. Goren asked about grants being available for Township to build facilities.  Mr. Pellegrino advised he wasn’t quit sure.  He did know that there were grants available if an Emergency Management Center were designed into the plans.  Mr. Pellegrino advised he would research further if the Township would be eligible for any grants.  Mr. Phillips recommended some possible grants the Township may be eligible for.   

Ms. Goren asked how the Township staff feels about the proposed design for the new Municipal Complex.  Mr. Pellegrino advised the Township staff is pleased.  Mr. Pellegrino and Mr. Phillips advised on past meetings with the Township staff. 

The Supervisors discussed the number of conference and public meeting rooms,  the kitchenette areas and the pros and cons of a multi-level buildings. 

Mr. Harp advised this was a preliminary review of the plan.  He would like to have a meeting for the public to review.  The Supervisors agreed the plan still needs to be revised before being presented to the public for review. 

Wrights Road – Proposed “No Parking” 

Mr. Harp reviewed a memo received from Captain Moorhead with regards to the requested proposal for “No Parking” on Wrights Road between Rt. 413 and Eagle Road.  The Supervisors agreed the schools should be contacted before a decision is made. 

Capitalization of Fixed Assets Policy 

Mr. Pellegrino advised the Supervisors on the Capitalization Policy of Fixed Assets.  He referred to a memo received from Ms. Gibbs, Finance Director.  

Fixed Asset Inventory Policy 

Mr. Pellegrino advised the Supervisors on the policy for Fixed Asset Control Inventory.  He referred to a memo received from Ms. Gibbs, Finance Director. 

Appraisal of Fixed Assets 

Mr. Pellegrino advised the Supervisors on a proposal from American Appraisal Associates to update the Township’s current Fixed Assets appraisal. He referred to a memo received from Ms. Gibbs, Finance Director.  Ms. Gibbs estimated the cost to be about $12,000.00.  The Supervisors agreed they need more information and once they receive that information they will put on the agenda.  Mr. Goodnoe suggested getting quotes from other appraisal companies. 

Redevelopment Authority – RFP Acme Site 

Mr. Pellegrino updated the Supervisors on the status. 

Other Business 

Mr. Purscell commented on the proposed new municipal complex.  He questioned the size of the new Municipal Complex and the use of space.  He questioned how the Supervisors could justify the size and cost of the new Municipal Complex. 

Mr. Sterling advised the Supervisors on the required time for retaining records.  He suggested the Township start using microfilm for storing records.   

Mr. Sterling also advised that in the flood of 1955 the local schools provided the emergency facilities. 

Ms. Hibbs also commented on the required time for retaining records.  Mr. Sanders advised the Township does have a policy on the length of time required to retain records. 

Ms. Hibbs commented on the use of the Martindell House.  She advised the house could use some renovations.  She asked the Supervisors to research the cost to maintain the building and suggested that the building should be historically restored or demolished. 

Mr. Iwaskiw commented on the proposed new Municipal Complex.  He questioned the amount of space provided to the staff in the administration office and the cost to maintain the building (heating/air conditioning).  Mr. Phillips advised the building would have temperature control zoning.  He also commented on the amount of bays for the public works building and the carport in the police department area. 

Mr. Purscell asked the Supervisors to seriously review the amount of space needed for the new Municipal Complex and think of ways to be a little kinder to the taxpayers. 

Ms. Hibbs commented on the possibility of having an emergency use exit in the complex. 

Mr. Iwaskiw commented with regards to the Cable Committee.  He referred to a February 2003, meeting where the Cable Committee discussed possible revisions to the Cable ordinance, which would include changes to the amount of members and the scope.  Mr. Harp advised the BOS would put on the agenda for the end of summer. 

Mr. Iwaskiw commented on the status of Newtown Commons.  Mr. Pellegrino advised that Comcast has agreed to proceed with wiring the Newtown Commons and construction will begin this year. 

Mr. Sterling advised he has voted for all five of the Supervisors in the past.  He discussed board policies and administration procedures.  He also wanted to apologize to the Supervisors for the abuse they receive at the public meetings.  

Mr. Harp thanked the public for their input and attending the meeting. 

Adjournment 

Without objection, the meeting was adjourned at 10:40 PM.

 

 Respectfully Submitted by: 

 

_____________________________
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary