Newtown Township

Board of Supervisors Work Session

Minutes of October 18, 2010

The Newtown Township Board of Supervisors met on October 18, 2010 in the Township meeting room at 7:30 PM. In attendance and voting were Supervisors: Chairman Robert Ciervo, Secretary/Treasurer Jerry Schenkman, Philip Calabro and Michael Gallagher, members. Not present was Vice Chairman Matthew Benchener. Also present were John Boyle, Assistant Township Manager, Jeff Garton, Township Solicitor and Michele Fountain, Township Engineer.

Members of the audience included: Joe Barkley, Financial Planning Committee; Luis Flores, Charles Marte and Heath Dumack.

Call to Order: Chairman Ciervo called the meeting to order at 7:32 P.M.

Community Comments

None.

Discussion

Financial Planning Committee, Monthly Financial Report – Joe Barkley

Mr. Barkley reported on the monthly financial report that the Committee has been working on. He advised that the Committee was requested to develop a financial report for the Supervisors to review. It became the Committee’s objective to develop a management summary report; the report would be a summary of the Treasurer’s Report. The Supervisors were provided a draft of the report for review. Mr. Barkley explained the various columns on the report.

Supervisor Ciervo suggested that on the revenue page the “percentage used” column be referred to as the “percentage received”.

Mr. Barkley advised that the idea behind the report is for the reader to be able to review the information quickly and identify areas that need further review. He discussed the report with regards to timing issues; some revenues are one month behind or received at certain times during the year. It was agreed that the report should have footnotes to clarify items and eliminate repeat questions.

The Supervisors discussed the reported listing other tax revenues in detail.

Supervisor Schenkman discussed meetings with Mrs. Gibbs. He suggested that the report start with more information and that once the Supervisors have a better feel of the report, some items may be removed. He also suggested that the Supervisors’ be provided the “Chart of Accounts” in their meeting books.

Mr. Barkley requested the Supervisors to email him their comments/suggestions.

There was discussion for the report to be color coordinated.

Supervisor Schenkman suggested integrating the report into the budget review process and for Mr. Barkley to meet with Mrs. Gibbs to review the budget process.

The Supervisors discussed the report being available for the publics’ review and agreed that a disclaimer would be needed.

The Supervisors thanked Mr. Barkley for his time.

Luis Flores Sketch Plan, 595 Linton Hill Road

Attorney Charles Marte, Engineer Heath Dumack and Luis Flores were in attendance to discuss the subdivision of a 13.31 acre parcel into three (3) residential building lots in the CM Conservation Management Zoning District. The Supervisors were provided information in their packets.

Mr. Marte updated the Supervisors. He reported that lot 1 would be three (3) acres, lot 2 would be seven (7) acres and lot 3 would be three (3) acres. He advised that Nine (9) variances/special exceptions would be needed. He reported on other parcels in the area that have been subdivided and Mr. Flores’ intentions to provide building lots for his children. He discussed a recent agreement with Mr. Pereira (the neighbor to the north) who has agreed to provide Mr. Flores with driveway access, which may eliminate some of the variances/special exceptions needed. He also advised that if either of the new lots were to go up for sale, Mr. Pereira requested the ability to purchase them. He reported that what is being reviewed is only a sketch plan and that not all of the property studies have been conducted, the applicant is looking to see if the Board will be supportive before proceeding.

Mr. Dumack reported on the resource analysis stream buffer impact. He also provided the Board with a revised plan showing driveway access to the proposed lots from the Pereira property. He advised that variances will still be needed, the driveway will still cross a small area of wetlands and it is expected that only one (1) or two (2) culverts will be needed. He reported that neighbors on the southern side of the property were not in favor of having the driveway access on the southern side of the property.

Mr. Flores advised that he has resided on this site for fifteen (15) years and reiterated that it is his intention to subdivide he property into three (3) lots of which lot 1 and 3 would be for his children to build homes in the future.

Supervisor Ciervo commented on the property being subdivided previously, the future effects to the CM District and meeting the natural resource restrictions.

Mr. Marte reported that the applicant is requesting relief to install a driveway to access the two (2) new building lots, the driveway is an issue due to crossing wetlands.

Mr. Dumack reported that whether the subdivision is one or two lots, a single driveway would still need to cross the wetlands.

Supervisor Ciervo reported that one of his issues is the calculation of the wetland transition area.

The Supervisors discussed the site with regards to soil types and the building lot size requirements. Mr. Dumack reported that the soil type calculation analysis still needs to be completed.

Mr. Marte commented on needing to finalize the calculations to verify if the property can be subdivided into three (3) buildable lots. He also questioned that if the property meets the net buildable site area requirements (able to have two (2) new buildable lots) will there be opposition for variances to install culverts across the floodplain and wetlands. Supervisor Ciervo advised that he would not be in opposition, but that he is only one member of the Board.

The Supervisors discussed having the driveway access on the southern side of the property. Mr. Flores advised on various issues with having the driveway access on the southern side of his property.

The Supervisors questioned how far apart driveways need to be on Linton Hill Road. Mrs. Fountain advised that there is no restriction with regards to the distance between driveways, with the exception of corner lots.

Supervisor Schenkman reported that he is concerned with the effects to the deer and wildlife populations if the lot is subdivided. He also discussed the right of first refusal agreement with Mr. Pereira not being binding.

Mr. Garton commented on tonight’s question being that if the three (3) lots are in compliance with Township ordinances, would the Board be okay with allowing the crossing of the wetlands.

Supervisor Calabro advised that he is not in favor of disturbing the wetlands or the driveway crossing the stream. He commented on the distance of lot 3 from the wetlands. He questioned if the lots could be reconfigured and suggested shifting the houses on lots 1 & 3.

The Supervisors discussed the driveway and wetlands on the Pereira property.

Mr. Marte advised that the applicant is seeking lack of opposition from the Township if they meet the required agriculture soils and woodlands calculations.

Supervisors’ Schenkman and Gallagher reported that they do not favor the plan.

The Supervisors thanked Mr. Flores, Mr. Marte and Mr. Dumack for their time.

Old Business

None.

New Business

None.

Other Business

None.

Adjournment

Without objection, the meeting was adjourned at 9:07 P.M.

 

Respectfully Submitted:

Christy Holley, Recording Secretary

 

Attest:

Joseph S. Czajkowski, Township Manager


Robert Ciervo, Chairman

Matthew Benchener, Vice-Chairman

Jerry Schenkman, Secretary/Treasurer

Philip Calabro, Member

Michael Gallagher, Member