FINANCIAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

THURSDAY JANUARY 19, 2005

7:00 PM


MINUTES OF JANUARY 19, 2006: Mr. Newmuis moved to approve the minutes of January 19, 2006. The motion was seconded by Mr. Schenkman and passed unanimously with one member abstaining.


The regular meeting of the Newtown Township Financial Planning Committee met on Thursday, January 19, 2006 in the meeting room of the Township Municipal Building.

Members present were Jerry Schenkman, Elaine Gibbs, Robert Dieterle, Philip Newmuis, Phil Vance, Allen Fidler and Jennifer Dix. Excused were John Stanford and Township Manager Bob Pellegrino.

Also present was Township resident, Bob Conway.

Chairman Schenkman called the meeting to order at 7:03 P.M.

MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 17, 2005:

Mr. Fidler moved to approve the minutes of November 17, 2005. The motion was seconded by Mr. Vance and passed unanimously with two members abstaining.

INTRODUCTION OF MEMBERS

Mr. Dieterle introduced himself to the Committee. He gave a brief history on his background and his involvement with Township Government.

Mr. Fidler introduced himself to the Committee. He advised that he has been involved with Township Government since 1990 and gave a brief history on his background.

Mr. Vance introduced himself to the Committee and gave a brief history on his background and his involvement with Township Government.

Mr. Newmuis introduced himself to the Committee. He gave a brief history on his background and his involvement with Township Government.

Ms. Dix introduced herself to the Committee. She gave a brief history on her background.

Mr. Schenkman introduced himself to the Committee. He gave a brief history on his background and advised on his interest in the Committee.

Ms. Gibbs introduced herself to the Committee. She gave a brief history on her background and her involvement with the Committee.

NEW BUSINESS

Discuss the Committee Goals for 2006 Old Business

Mr. Schenkman suggested that the Committee discuss what issues the members had been focusing on in 2005, to help bring the new members up to date.

Mr. Fidler advised on the primary mission of the Committee and the past history. He discussed the Capital Projects in the Township.

The Committee members discussed the Budget and Township expenses.

The Committee members discussed the dedicated Capital Reserve Funds for Capital Projects.

The Committee members discussed the development of the Woll Tract and the proposed Municipal Complex.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s need to prioritize.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s outstanding debt. Ms. Gibbs advised with regards to the Wiggins loan and the County loan.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s Property Tax and the Earned Income Tax.

The Committee members discussed purchasing the land from the Archdiocese.

The Committee members discussed the current working conditions of the Township employees.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s record storage.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s millage.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s debt service. Ms. Gibbs explained how the debt service works.

The Committee members discussed what the Board of Supervisors would like the Committee to focus on for 2006. The members suggested meeting with the Supervisors at a Work Session to discuss the objective of the Committee for 2006.

The Committee members discussed the possible grants available for the Township to help fund building a new Municipal Complex.

The Committee members discussed the Township hiring a professional Grant Writer. Mr. Schenkman advised the Committee with regards to a woman he met and that he forwarded her resume to Mr. Pellegrino.

The Committee members discussed how the Township handles public relations.

The Committee members discussed the Telecommunications Committee and public television content.

The Committee members discussed their frustrations with regards to the Township making decisions.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s five (5) year plan.

The Committee members discussed the history of the proposed Municipal Complex. Mr. Schenkman suggested the Committee discuss the subject further at the February meeting to help educate the new members.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s Recreation Impact Fees and the Traffic Impact Fees.

The Committee members discussed the improvements the Township has planned for 2006 to the Roberts Ridge Park and the Clark Property.

Mr. Fidler updated the Committee members with regards to the last Planning Commission Meeting.

The Committee members discussed the possibility of raising taxes to develop the Woll Tract and the proposed Municipal Complex.

Mr. Newmuis commented with regards to the Township’s public relations and the need to advise the public on the amount of Property Tax the Township actually receives. Members discussed the amount of Property Tax that the County receives and School Tax that Council Rock School District receives.

Mr. Schenkman commented with regards to discussions at the January Work Session regarding raising the Emergency and Municipal Services Tax. Ms. Gibbs advised that Mr. Pellegrino has asked her to contact Berkheimer to discuss the matter.

The Committee members discussed the proposed Re-Sale Inspection Tax. Ms. Gibbs advised that the Board of Supervisors voted against the proposed Re-Sale Inspection Tax. Mr. Schenkman advised the members with regards to discussions at the January Work Session.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s paid Firefighters.

The Committee members discussed marketing strategies to advise the public with regards to the Township services they are receiving verses what it is costing them.

Mr. Schenkman advised the members on his intentions with regards to updating the Board of Supervisors.

OLD BUSINESS

OTHER BUSINESS

The Committee members discussed appointing a Chairman. Ms. Gibbs advised that she would research to see if the Committee’s Chairman needs to be the Supervisor’s Treasurer.

Mr. Conway introduced himself to the Committee. He gave a brief history on his background and his involvement with Township Government. He advised that he was attending tonight’s meeting to discuss PECO and the tapping fee for the streetlights. He commented with regards to the Consortium of Township to go after PECO and Attorney Palmer getting the Township’s a rate reduction of 20%. He discussed the maintenance of the streetlights. He advised that he feels that PECO owes the Township money.

The Committee discussed the tapping fee and the PUC.

Mr. Schenkman questioned the contract.

Mr. Conway suggested that PECO customers review their bill; they will see a service charge for $5.18. He advised that he was told that this charge is a monthly charge and was to keep an account open. He also commented with regards to charges for Meter Readers and the new electronic meters not requiring Meter Readers. Mr. Conway advised on how the streetlights are wired in developments. He discussed what other Townships are doing.

Mr. Schenkman asked Mr. Conway to provide the Committee with documentation for the members to review and they would discuss the matter further. Mr. Conway gave what documentation he had with him to the Committee.

The Committee discussed ownership of the streetlights. Ms. Gibbs advised that the Township owns the streetlights.

Mr. Fidler questioned if the Telecommunications Committee should review this matter.

Ms. Gibbs advised the Committee members on the knowledge of the agreement with PECO.

The Committee thanked Mr. Conway for his input. Mr. Conway thanked the Committee for their time.

The Committee members discussed the Township’s options.

ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business to come before the Committee, the meeting was duly adjourned.

The next meeting is scheduled for February 16, 2006 at 7 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

_____________________________
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary