NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP FINANCIAL PLANNING COMMITTEE

100 MUNICIPAL DRIVE, NEWTOWN, BUCKS COUNTY, PA 18940

Internet: http://www.twp.newtown.pa.us

******************************************************************************************************

Minutes for the meeting held on January 22, 2009

 

The regular meeting of the Newtown Township Financial Planning Committee met on Thursday, January 22, 2009 in the meeting room at the Newtown Township Municipal Building.

Members present were Glenn Beasley, Robert Dieterle, Tom Grace, Brian Wilson, Elaine Gibbs and Mike Gallagher. Excused were Ronald Kaizar, Jim McCrane, Andy Salvucci and John Stranford.

CALL TO ORDER:

Mr. Beasley called the meeting to order at 7:15 P.M.

MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 25, 2008:

The approval of the minutes from November 25, 2008 was postponed due to the lack of a quorum.

NEW BUSINESS:

Discuss February meeting date

The Committee members discussed the February meeting date and agreed to meet on Thursday, February 19 th at 7:00 P.M. The meeting would be held at the Township Fire Hall. The Recording Secretary advised that she would send out an email - notifying members of the meeting date and place.

Reorganization of the Committee

The reorganization of the Committee was postponed due to the lack of a quorum.

Welcome new member

Mr. Beasley introduced Mr. Grace to the members. Mr. Grace gave a brief history on his background and o ffered his services to the Committee. The members welcomed Mr. Grace.

Update from Mr. Gallagher re: Supervisors’ meeting and length of members’ terms

Mr. Gallagher updated the members. He reported that the members’ terms would increase from one (1) year to three (3) years and that their terms would be staggered. He advised that the Committee is one (1) member short and that any interested party should send their resume to the township.

OLD BUSINESS:

Discuss goals for 2009

Mr. Gallagher updated the members on what the Board of Supervisor’s Chairman would like to see from the Committee and the possibility of the Committee appearing at a Work Session. Mr. Beasley commented on the Work Session that the Committee attended in April 2008. The members discussed developing a list of proposed goals for presentation to the Supervisors.

Mr. Beasley discussed the work done by the Committee in 2008 and their proposed goals that were not completed being included in the 2009 goals.

The proposed goals discussed for 2009 included the following:

  • Develop an understanding of the current budget process and develop recommendations on ways the process might be improved.
  • Develop a set of recommendations for ways to enhance and/or increase revenue streams for the Township.
  • Develop recommendations on ways to make the Township more efficient.
  • Develop indicators for the MuniCast Software (Mr. Gallagher updated Mr. Grace with regards to MuniCast. Ms. Gibbs discussed the email she sent after the November meeting with regards to developing indicators).
  • Develop a variance reporting system (Mr. Grace discussed how variance reporting works).
  • Estimate the Township’s increase in cost due to the Municipal Complex expansion.

The members discussed the Treasurer’s report with regards to expenses and revenues. The members discussed developing a Financial Executive Report showing variances. The members discussed categories that should be reviewed (Example: sources of revenue). Ms. Gibbs suggested major funds to be reviewed include the General Fund and the Parks & Recreation Fund. The members discussed the report showing percentages and actual dollars. The members discussed reviewing the Township’s expenses. Ms. Gibbs advised that she would provide the members with a copy of the Treasurer’s report for the February meeting.

Mr. Wilson arrived. The prior discussions at the meeting were recapped for Mr. Wilson.

Mr. Beasley advised on a suggested goal from Mr. Stranford be to research the availability of grants. Ms. Gibbs reported on a study of the Township’s revenue and a company’s offer to provide a service for grant writing.

Mr. Beasley suggested developing subcommittees to help accomplish goals.

Mr. Beasley discussed the expertise of the members and how that could be of value to the Township.

The Committee members discussed their access to the Township’s financial information.

Ms. Gibbs advised that the Township’s three (3) union contracts expire in December 2011. She suggested the Committee become involved in the review process in 2010.

Mr. Gallagher left the meeting.

The members discussed how the economy is effecting Townships, States and Federal Government.

The members discussed Township employee’s contributing to health benefits.

The members discussed the Township’s cost being increased in 2010 and how to cut cost.

The members discussed the status of the Municipal Complex expansion and the contract price compared to the bond. Ms. Gibbs suggested contacting the Township Manager for further information. Mr. Beasley requested Ms. Gibbs to get the members a summary of the final bids compared to the bond for the Municipal Complex. Ms. Gibbs advised that ground breaking is expected to happen in March.

Mr. Beasley suggested that the Committee finalize their 2009 goals at the February meeting. He reviewed the proposed 2009 goals.

  • Develop an understanding of the current budget process and develop recommendations on ways the process might be improved.
  • Develop a set of recommendations for ways to enhance and/or increase revenue streams for the Township.
  • Develop recommendations on ways to make the Township more efficient.
  • Develop indicators for the MuniCast Software.
  • Develop a variance reporting system and use it to track this year’s revenues/expenditures vs. 2009 budget.
  • Estimate the Township’s increase in operating cost due to the Municipal Complex expansion.

Mr. Beasley requested Mr. Grace to contact Mr. Gallagher to discuss the Township’s finances. Mr. Grace advised the he would, once he had a chance to review the 2009 Budget.

Ms. Gibbs advised that the December Treasurer’s report would be late and that the Township auditors are scheduled to come out on March 3, 2009.

Mr. Beasley suggested meeting with the Supervisors in March to discuss the Committee’s goals.

Mr. Beasley questioned how the Township’s income is doing. Ms. Gibbs reported on the status of the Township’s income and advised that the final report would be available in the end of January.

Ms. Gibbs advised on her concerns with regards to 2009 and 2010 Township funds.

The members discussed the Township’s Reserve Funds.

Ms. Gibbs reported on the reduction of the Township’s Capital Projects.

PRIVILEGE OF THE FLOOR:

The members discussed the current meeting time for the Committee and agreed to continue meeting at 7 P.M.

ADJOURMENT:

There being no further business to come before the Committee, the meeting was duly adjourned at 8:42 P.M.

The next meeting is scheduled for February 19, 2009 at 7 P.M. The meeting will be held in the meeting room at the Newtown Township Fire Hall.

 

Respectfully submitted by:

 

Christy Holley, Recording Secretary