NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP SYCAMORE STREET COMMITTEE

A Reconstruction Project of Newtown Township

100 MUNICIPAL DRIVE

NEWTOWN, PA

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2002

8:00 PM


Minutes of 2-12-02: Mr. Merjeski moved to approve the minutes.  Mr. Shaffer advised the committee on a change to the minutes, under Special Announcements it should state Pennoni is picking up where Carroll Engineering left off not McMahon Associates.  Terry McLean asked that it be noted that HARB was represented.  The motion was seconded by Mr. Tyrol and passed unanimously, with 2 members abstaining.


 

The Sycamore Street Committee met on Tuesday, February 12, 2002, in the Newtown Township Municipal Building at 8:00 p.m.  In attendance were Chairman Vince Lombardi, Vice Chairman Frank Tyrol, Members Joe Merjeski, David Burns and Daniel Faust, Planning Commission members Karen Doorley and James Bowe.  Not in attendance were members Jerry DeYoung and Shannon Wilson, Planning Commission member James Ott and Borough Liaisons Cathy Fink and Rand Jaslow.

 

Also present were Supervisor Scott Harp, Tom McLearnon and Bob Ballinger representing Chandler Hall and Katie O’Toole from the Newtown paper, Focus on Newtown.

 

The Meeting was called to order at 8:01 PM.

 

Special Announcements:

 

Mr. Lombardi introduced Mr. Nelson Shaffer, Liaison from Pennoni Associates Inc.  Mr. Lombardi advised the committee members of past experiences with Mr. Shaffer and Pennoni Associates Inc.  Mr. Shaffer introduced Mr. Gerald Smith, advising that he would oversee the everyday construction.  Mr. Shaffer gave the committee members an overview of Pennoni’s work experience with streetscape projects.  Ms. Doorley asked Mr. Shaffer if he felt there would be any lag time picking up where McMahon Associates left off.  Mr. Shaffer advised he felt there would be no problem picking up where McMahon Associates left off. 

 

Minutes of 1-22-02: Ms. Doorley moved to approve the minutes.  The motion was seconded by Mr. Merjeski and passed unanimously.

 

Subcommittee and Liaison Reports:

 

A.            Traffic & Safety:

 

Mr. Burns advised the committee that the PECO contractors would now be working during the day.  They are finishing up work between St. Andrews and Seven-Eleven. When that is complete they will go all the way up to the north end and start working south doing the laterals.

 

Mr. Lombardi advised the committee that PECO has completed the gas main.  Mr. Lombardi advised that the night work is complete until the start of the core project.

Mr. Smith advised the committee that per his inspector the day work should take about two weeks. 

 

B.             Planning:

 

Ms. Doorley advised the committee that Michael Frank with Heritage Conservancy would be giving a presentation on planning and zoning.  The presentation will be done in three evenings.  It would take place before the Planning Commission Meeting.  It is open to all of the township board members.  The presentation will run from 7 PM to 8 PM.  The dates are February 19th, March 5th and March 19th.

 

C.             Grants:

 

Mr. Lombardi advised the committee he has met with Lois Ash the grant writer for Heritage Conservancy.  Mr. Lombardi advised he gave her a copy of our Step 9.  She will review the project and analyze the enhancements that are not funded by the core project.  She will research where to apply for grants that will fund those enhancements.  She will look into funding through private grant companies. She is going to analyze ongoing projects with similar enhancements to see where and how they were financed.  She hopes to have some information for us by our March meeting but definitely by the April meeting.    

 

Mr. Lombardi advised that once Ms. Ash has some information a workshop would be set up for the Grants Committee.  Mr. Bowe requested that Ms. Ash provide the committee with some examples of similar grants.

 

Mr. Lombardi advised the committee that Three Thousand Dollars has been put in the budget for grant writing. 

 

The committee discussed what the grants would be for (street furniture, trees).

 

The committee discussed corporate fundraising.

 

D.            Community Relations:

 

Mr. Burns reported on the construction easements.  He advised the committee that he and Mr. DeYoung would start meeting with the property owners. 

 

Mr. Lombardi advised the committee that on February 27, the attorney and design engineer would meet to do the walkthrough of the street.   There are 20 temporary construction easements and two takings.  The first one is the Trimac property.  Mr. Stockburger advised that would not be a problem.  The committee discussed the second taking.

 

Correspondence:

 

Old Business:

 

         Mr. Lombardi advised the committee that the Newtown Artesian Water Company 

         has completed their project.

 

         Mr. Merjeski asked about PECO cleaning up the Acme site.  Mr. Lombardi advised that would be cleaned up.

        

New Business:

 

General Discussion:

 

Mr. Lombardi advised the committee that McMahon and PennDot are in serious discussion.  We will be getting Step 9 approval and Final Design at the same time.  Mr. Shaffer will follow up.  Mr. Merjeski asked if changes could still be made or are we locked into the plan.  Mr. Lombardi advised that field changes could still be made.  Any major changes we would have to go back to PennDot.

 

The committee discussed what the final plan would look like.  Mr. Shaffer reported on the sizing of the plan.

 

The committee discussed the switching of the Sycamore Street Enhancement Project and the Newtown Bypass Project with PennDot.

 

The committee discussed the progress of the Sycamore Street Project.

 

Adjournment:

 

A motion to adjourn was brought forth by Ms. Doorley and seconded by Mr. Merjeski.  The meeting adjourned at 8:44 PM.

 

The next scheduled meeting is March 12th.

 

Respectfully submitted:

 

 

_____________________________
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary