NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP SYCAMORE STREET COMMITTEE
A Reconstruction Project of Newtown Township
100 MUNICIPAL DRIVE
TUESDAY MARCH 8, 2005
Approval of Minutes: Mr. Merjeski made a motion to approve the minutes of the March 8, 2005 meeting as presented. Mr. Tyrol seconded; the motion carried.
Members Present: Chairman Vince Lombardi; Members Joe Merjeski, Shannon Wilson, Melva Vittoriano, John Nejman, Frank Tyrol; Planning Commission Liaisons Shawn Ward, Esq., Supervisor Tom Jirele
Members Not Present: Member David Burns, Jr.; Borough Liaison Rand Jaslow; Borough Representative Barry Dinneen; Planning Commission Liaison Beth Sanderlin and Michael Piazza; HARB representative Terry McLean
Also present: Nelson Shaffer representing Pennoni Associates Inc.; Bob Bebon representing Newtown Presbyterian Church; Tom McLearnon representing Chandler Hall; business owner Robert Thomas; Jay Kravitz; George Stockburger
Call to Order: Chairman Lombardi called the meeting to order at 8:05 PM.
Approval of Minutes
Mr. Merjeski made a motion to approve the minutes of the February 8, 2005 meeting as presented.
- Bypass Left Turn Lane Project – Nelson Shaffer
Mr. Shaffer reported that they were just waiting for warmer weather to finalize the punch list items, which included some final grading.
- Newtown Creek Restoration – UpdateMr. Shaffer reported that the contractors have been great to work with. He said that the foundations are in, the rails for the fencing were not up yet, and that some decorative stone would be added between the fence and the back of the wall. Mr. Shaffer said that curbing, sidewalks, final grading and plantings would be done when the weather improves. Mr. Wilson said that Borough resident Michael Hutchinson had requested adding some ivy type landscaping to cover the wall; Mr. Shaffer noted that there is money for landscaping. Mr. Lombardi said that trees would be planted in the area across from the Township House Restaurant, between the old Acme site and Lorraine Gardner’s home.
- Community Relations Committee Report – Joe MerjeskiMr. Merjeski said that residents on the north end of the project had complained about the bright lights and truck back-up beeping, and that Mr. Lombardi had spoken with the contractor to have the lights redirected and the trucks re-routed to move in a circular pattern rather than continually backing up. Mr. Lombardi noted that Kam Patel had done a good job helping to resolve these issues; Mr. Merjeski noted that Kam had also had some noisy mufflers and generators replaced or adjusted to help reduce noise levels.
- Haines & Kibblehouse –Mr. Lombardi said that they are back to work, and that Armour Electric was working double shifts.
- Acme Site UpdateMr. Jirele said that he expected that the groundwork for choosing a developer for the Acme site would be laid at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Wednesday night.
- 48” Storm Sewer CrossingMr. Shaffer said that a 42” pipe was used and that the installation was completed between 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 a..m. one night. He said that although they had found atypical construction the contractor was able to keep the end wall in place. Mr. Lombardi noted that the community relations committee had been working with the contractor regularly, and said that Township Manager Bob Pellegrino had been attending meetings as well, and had been able to make on-the-spot decisions that helped progress the project.
Mr. McLearnon said he had spoken with Mr. Pellegrino and the sign at Sycamore Street and the Bypass will be replaced by the Township.
Mr. Thomas asked about the storm drainage issue at his property at 221 N. Sycamore Street. Mr. Lombardi said that there was a serious elevation problem there, as the sidewalk is higher than the property, especially at the drive, where it could cause difficulty for vehicles. Mr. Shaffer said he has asked the designer to review the situation but has not yet received a response; he said that they may be able to change the profile of the street at that location. Mr. Lombardi suggested that moving the curb line out might help.
Next Meetings: The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 12, 2005.
On motion by Mr. Merjeski, seconded by Mr. Wilson and without objection, the meeting was adjourned at 8:28 p.m.
Leslie P. Dunleavy, Recording Secretary