JOINT CABLE TELEVISION ADVISORY BOARD

WEDNESDAY JUNE 19, 2002


MINUTES OF June 19, 2002:  James Bowe moved to approve the minutes of June 19, 2002.  Walt Iwaskiw advised the committee on one change to the minutes, on page 2, Time Shift Programming is related to Video on Demand and will not be available until the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year.  The motion was seconded by Walt Iwaskiw and passed unanimously. 


Members Present: James Bowe, Chairman, Walt Iwaskiw, Vice Chairman and James Manahan, Member, Representing Newtown Township. Not in attendance are Scott Harp, Liaison, Representing Newtown Township and Stuart Myles, Treasurer and Ernie Bancroft, Member, Representing Newtown Borough.

Also present were Michael Sinback and Joseph Czajkowski representing Comcast Cable Communications, Inc. and Newtown resident Michael Iapalucci.

CALL TO ORDER:

Chairman James Bowe called the meeting to order at 7:39 p.m.

MINUTES OF MARCH 20, 2002:

Walt Iwaskiw moved to approve the minutes of March 20, 2002. The motion was seconded by James Bowe and pass unanimously, with 1 member abstaining.

MINUTES OF MAY 15, 2002:

Walt Iwaskiw moved to approve the minutes of May 15, 2002. The motion was seconded by James Bowe and passed unanimously.

NEW BUSINESS:

James Bowe introduced new member James Manahan. James Manahan will represent Newtown Township. Members welcomed James Manahan to the committee.

James Bowe advised he would still like to keep Dr. Joe Ugras informed on the committee’s status.

OLD BUSINESS:

The committee discussed the idea of having a volunteer video group. James Bowe advised he would discuss the idea of having a volunteer video group with the BOS at their next meeting. Walt Iwaskiw advised he is still waiting to discuss with Ron Weaver. He will contact again in the next week.

The committee discussed cable competition. James Bowe updated the committee on how the project was going. He thanked James Manahan for his help with the project. He advised we have received one response to prior correspondence.

COMCAST UPDATE:

The committee discussed the status of the property belonging to Kelly Rufus, a resident of Newtown Crossing. Michael Sinback updated the committee on the status of the project. He advised he would be meeting with the contractor.

The committee discussed the status of Newtown Industrial Commons. James Bowe advised he would provide Comcast with information received from the township providing a listing of the businesses. James Bowe advised he would discuss at the next BOS meeting. He would advise the BOS to request Comcast to wire the area.

James Bowe asked Joseph Czajkowski if the demand for cable in businesses has increased since 9/11/01. Joseph Czajkowski advised he didn’t think it had.

The committee discussed the construction of the OTN. Michael Sinback advised things were moving along well. Walt Iwaskiw requested Comcast to forward a copy of the plan to James Bowe. Michael Sinback advised he would take care of it.

The committee-discussed concerns the BOS had shown with respects to set-top cable boxes. Comcast explained how the different equipment works. Members discussed the different cable packages available. Walt Iwaskiw asked Joseph Czajkowski to send him information on pricing and channel line-up. Joseph Czajkowski advised he would mail Walt Iwaskiw the information. Walt Iwaskiw advised he would draft correspondence to be presented before the BOS.

The committee discussed Video on Demand. Michael Sinback explained how it works. He advised it would be available in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year.

Members discussed Time Shift Programming. Michael Sinback explained how it works. He advised that service is available upon requested.

Walt Iwaskiw asked how Comcast was coming along with the information the committee had requested in reference to the Internet/Email service outages. Michael Sinback advised the committee that Comcast is still working on it. Members discussed services outages since last meeting.

The committee discussed picture quality. Members advised there is an audio hum on Channel 23 and Channel 58 appears as a ghost image on Channel 23. Comcast advised the audio hum is probably a problem with the township’s equipment but they would look into the ghost image.

Walt Iwaskiw reminded Comcast to keep the committee in mind if they had any old equipment to get rid of.

Michael Iapalucci asked Comcast if they offered any type of package deal if you subscribe to cable and the Internet. Michael Sinback advised Comcast does not offer any special package at this time.

Michael Iapalucci asked about the removal of pedestals. James Bowe advised the committee that Newtown Crossing and Tyler Walk were complete. The Ridings is unresolved; the committee has been unsuccessful in speaking with anyone.

The committee discussed the underground cable boxes. Michael Sinback explained how the equipment works.

Members discussed the different type of outdoor cable equipment Comcast uses.

Michael Iapalucci advised the committee of Comcast equipment needing maintenance. Michael Iapalucci advised he would show James Bowe where the equipment is located. James Bowe will advise Comcast.

Michael Iapalucci asked if Comcast charges for service calls. He was advised there is a charge for service calls.

SATELLITE DISHES:

Michael Iapalucci asked if there were any regulations in reference to Satellite Dishes. James Bowe advised him that FCC regulations are very open when it comes to Satellite Dishes.

Walt Iwaskiw advised he has met with Tom Harwood to discuss Satellite Dishes. He is waiting to discuss further with Tom Harwood.

OTHER BUSINESS/MEMBER COMMENTS:

The committee discussed canceling the July meeting. Walt Iwaskiw made a motion to cancel the July meeting, which was seconded by James Bowe. The motion carried unanimously. Walt Iwaskiw advised he would notify the township, borough and committee members.

The committee discussed the status of the Newtown Borough Liaison.

The committee discussed member attendance.

Committee members went into executive session to discuss a legal matter. James Bowe advised he would forward correspondence to members.

Members discussed the monthly Joint Cable Meetings and the quarterly Council Rock School District Meetings. Members need to decide who will attend these meetings.

The committee discussed the upcoming Joint Cable Meeting on June 25th. James Bowe advised they meet the last Tuesday every month. He advised he would attend the June meeting.

ADJOURNMENT:

Walt Iwaskiw made a motion to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded by James Bowe. The motion carried unanimously.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, August 21, 2002.

 

Respectfully submitted:

 

____________________________
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary