JOINT CABLE TELEVISION ADVISORY BOARD

WEDNESDAY MAY 21, 2003


DRAFT - SUBJECT TO AMENDMENT BY THE JOINT CABLE TELEVISION ADVISORY BOARD


Members Present: James Bowe, Chairman; Walt Iwaskiw, Vice Chairman; and James Manahan, Member Representing Newtown Township; Rand Jaslow, Liaison, and Patrick Foster, Member Representing Newtown Borough. Not in attendance was Scott Harp, Liaison Representing Newtown Township.

CALL TO ORDER:

Chairman James Bowe called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.

MINUTES OF MARCH 19, 2003:

James Manahan moved to approve the minutes of March 19, 2003. The motion was seconded by Patrick Foster and passed unanimously.

NEW BUSINESS:

Members discussed the Council Rock Educational Agreement. The committee members reviewed correspondence received from Fred Polner, Esq.. Rand Jaslow advised that the Borough is considering drafting a similar agreement. Walt Iwaskiw expressed concerns with regards to having fixed hours of operation, non -performance (dead air/improper content), and school’s advertising for direct revenue. Members expressed concerns with the guidelines for advertising on the Township’s educational & governmental channels. Members agreed generating revenue would be ok for events or non-profit organizations. Walt Iwaskiw made a motion to recommend that the BOS review the contract with regards to the hours of operation, non-performance (dead air/improper content) and direct revenue generation on the Township’s educational & governmental channels. The motion was seconded by James Manahan and passed unanimously

The committee members discussed the First 4th Celebration and taping events. James Bowe asked members if they could help out videotaping some of the day’s events. Patrick Foster suggested reaching out to the public for help, asking them to send in videos. A suggestion was made to post an announcement on the web page asking the community to get involved with the videotaping. Rand Jaslow advised he is also on the First 4th Committee and would provide the Cable Committee a schedule of the day’s events. James Bowe asked members to think about what else the committee could do. Members agreed to discuss further at the June meeting.

The committee discussed developing content for the Township’s Channel 23. James Bowe suggested doing lifetime videos interviewing older residents in the Township and Borough. Walt Iwaskiw suggested contacting local scouts and other organizations asking them to get involved in making videos. James Manahan suggested contacting guidance counselors at the high school asking students to get involved. Members agreed to look into posting a notice on the web page asking the community to get involved.

VOLUNTEER VIDEO GROUP:

OLD BUSINESS:

COMCAST UPDATE:

James Bowe advised the committee that per an email received from Comcast they are conducting a study to research the market demand for cable services in the Newtown Light Industrial (L&I) District. If Comcast finds the demand is sufficient they will begin construction of the cable system within the L&I immediately. If the demand is not there initially they will put it on the construction budget for next year. Walt Iwaskiw advised he feels the Township needs to put pressure on Comcast to run the cable equipment. The committee members agreed the Township should encourage Comcast to run the cable equipment. Walt Iwaskiw made a motion to recommend that the BOS continue to pursue the issue of having Comcast run the cable equipment in the L&I District. The motion was seconded by James Manahan and passed unanimously.

Rand Jaslow questioned how Comcast was making out with providing the area the PCN Channel. James Bowe advised that per Comcast there is not enough demand for the channel. Members agreed that the Township and Borough should require Comcast to provide the PCN Channel when the contract is renewed.

OTHER BUSINESS/MEMBER COMMENTS:

The committee discussed the following:

§         RCN

§         The proposed revised ordinance.

§         The replay quality of the BOS meetings.

§         Comcast has not attended the past two meetings.  Members agreed a letter should be sent.

§         James Bowe advised the members that the audit needs to complete next year (2004).

ADJOURNMENT: 

James Bowe made a motion to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded by James Manahan.  The motion carried unanimously.  The meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 18, 2003.  The meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m., in the Newtown Borough Hall.

 


Respectfully submitted:

 

____________________________
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary