JOINT CABLE TELEVISION ADVISORY BOARD
WEDNESDAY MAY 5, 2004
MINUTES OF MAY 5, 2004: Walt Iwaskiw advised he had one correction to the minutes. The minutes should refer to Don Smith not Don Harris. James Bowe moved to approve the minutes of May 5, 2004. The motion was seconded by James Manahan and passed unanimously.
Members Present: Walt Iwaskiw, Chairman; James Bowe, Member; and Scott Harp, Liaison Representing Newtown Township; Patrick Foster, Vice-Chairman; and Don Smith, Liaison Representing Newtown Borough. Not in attendance was James Manahan, Member Representing Newtown Township.
Not present was Joseph Czajkowski representing Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.
CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Walt Iwaskiw called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
MINUTES OF APRIL 7, 2004:
James Bowe moved to approve the minutes of April 7, 2004. The motion was seconded by Patrick Foster and passed unanimously.
The members discussed the license agreement between Newtown Township, Council Rock School District, and the Bucks County Community College for use of the cable channel drafted April 11, 2003. The committee members discussed their recommendations for changes to the current draft of the agreement. Walt Iwaskiw advised he would draft a memo stating the concerns the committee has with the current draft of the license agreement, for the committee members to review before advising the BOS. Don Harris advised the members on the Borough’s agreement with Council Rock School District and the Bucks County Community College. He suggested having a joint agreement between Newtown Township, Newtown Borough, Council Rock School District and Bucks County Community College. The committee discussed having a joint agreement signed by all parties. Don Harris advised he would update the Borough Council.
The members discussed the recommendations for the character generator. The members discussed the videotape Walt Iwaskiw provided. The members agreed to discuss further once all members have reviewed the videotape.
The committee members discussed an email received from Joseph Czajkowski advising that he could not attend tonight’s meeting, but updating the members on the following:
- Newtown Industrial Commons – The project is complete.
- Newtown OTN – The landscaping is scheduled for next week. The access road is in the engineering/design phase.
- The Ridings of Newtown – No Changes.
- Programming – No Changes.
- Channel 58 – Comcast is still researching.
- Channel Realignment – The realignment is tentatively scheduled for June. The entire realignment should take about three months.
The committee discussed the email with regards to the landscaping of the Newtown OTN. The members discussed the landscaping plan. Scott Harp advised he would discuss further with Mr. Pellegrino, Township Manager.
Walt Iwaskiw advised that he received an email from Joseph Czajkowski with regards to the ability to move the college channel to Channel 58. Comcast advised that if the college channel were moved to Channel 58, the local municipality meetings currently being shown would have to be removed.
OTHER BUSINESS/MEMBER COMMENTS:
The committee discussed the following:
- An alternate meeting night. The members agreed to check their schedules and email each other with a possible new meeting night. Patrick Foster offered the use of a meeting room in the fire station to hold meetings.
- Scott Harp updated the members on an article in today’s USA Today. He recommends the committee members review the article.
- Videotaping events for this year’s First Four celebrations.
- The email address provided by the Township for residents/business owners to express any concerns with regards to cable. Scott Harp advised he thought the email address should be advertised on Channel 23. He advised he would contact the Township to have the email address advertised on Channel 23. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scott Harp updated the members on his discussion with Ms. Karen Galardi from Holy Family University. The committee members discussed the equipment Holy Family University would need to transmit programming from Bucks County.
- Speaking with Dr. Joe Ugras from LaSalle University to discuss programming content.
- Walt Iwaskiw suggested to Scott Harp that when the new municipal complex is complete the Township should look into transmitting through a server rather than using multiple decks. The committee members discussed the Township’s current equipment. Walt Iwaskiw advised he would email Ron Weaver and Bob Pellegrino with regards to researching the use of servers.
- The Township’s educational channels.
- Don Harris advised the members that on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 the Newtown Borough Council would amend the new telecommunications ordinance.
James Bowe made a motion to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded by Patrick Foster. The motion carried unanimously. The meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 2, 2004. The meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m., in the Newtown Borough Hall.
Christy Holley, Recording Secretary